I’ve been blogging for nearly six years now and the blogging community has changed quite a bit. Many of my friends who used to blog regularly are no longer into it, and I’ve met so many new friends along the way! Because of this, I thought it would be so fun to share my answers to these fifty questions I saw on The Samantha Show blog. It reminds me of old surveys and linkups from back in 2011 that people would do on their blogs!
1. What are your nicknames? What do you prefer to be called? My nickname is Whit, but I prefer most people to call me Whitney.
2. What books are on your shelf begging to be read? I got Anna Kendrick’s “Scrappy Little Nobody” for Christmas but haven’t read it yet. My mom let me borrow Joanna Gaines’ book but I’m still working on the first Outlander book. I struggle with reading fiction and this is a tough one!
3. What often do you doodle? What do your doodles look like? I doodle a lot actually, but mostly when I’m in a meeting and feel uncomfortable. I do a lot of hearts, triangles and practice my handlettering.
4. What do you do if you can’t sleep at night? Do you count sheep? Toss and turn? Try to get up and do something productive? I don’t have a lot of trouble falling asleep, but if I do, I turn off the TV and put on the “Jazz for Sleep” Spotify playlist. I usually fall asleep within one or two songs.
5. How many days could you last in solitary confinement? How would you do it? I’m such a social person so probably not long. Maybe two or three days? It depends on if I’m allowed to have a book.
6. Do you save old greeting cards and letters? Throw them away? I do save greeting cards for birthdays and anniversaries, but not random holidays. I also have all of our cards from our wedding and want to make a book out of them.
7. Who is the biggest pack rat you know? I don’t know many pack rats! My husband and I got rid of a lot of stuff when we moved and my parents are really good about purging things as well…
8. When making an entrance into a party, do you make your presence known? Do you slip in and look for someone you know? Do you sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost? I typically look for someone I know or go to the food, let’s be honest. Or animals if they are there. But then again, I don’t go to many parties.
9. What is your strongest sense? If you had to give one up, which would it be? My sense of smell is super strong. I would probably give up my sense of touch because seeing, smelling and tasting are way too important.
10. How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror? Once when I’m getting ready, two or three times if I go to the restroom throughout the day, and then once at night when I’m getting ready for bed.
11. What’s the strangest thing you believed as a child? Okay, don’t laugh: I had terrible nightmares about E.T. when I was a kid and I was so afraid that he was going to get me when I was sleeping.
12. What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up? I don’t have any guilty pleasures! Anything that I enjoy I’m happy to share with anyone.
13. Who performs the most random acts of kindness out of everyone you know? I’m not sure about people “IRL” but I do know that AP does random acts of kindness every year!
14. How often do you read the newspaper? Which paper? Which sections? I skim the free local newspaper we get delivered to our house every Tuesday, but read other articles online from the Charlotte Agenda, Charlotte Observer, and other random sites.
15. Which animals scare you the most? Why? Is a spider considered an animal? I have legit panic attacks about spiders. I absolutely hate them!
16. Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage it head-on? It depends on what the conflict is. I’m typically the person to stand up and say something, but I try to do it in the most respectful and delicate way possible.
17. What was the most recent compliment you’ve received and savored? Someone at the gym told me that I have “gorgeous smooth skin” and I savored that for solid week. Nick also recently complimented me on the way my hair has been styled/colored and it makes me smile whenever he does that!
18. What is something about yourself that you hope will change, but probably never will? I go through stages where I won’t bite my nails for weeks and then I pick up the habit again. I’ve been doing it my whole life.
19. Are you a creature of habit? Explain. Absolutely. Nick and I were just talking about this the other day. We’ve developed a routine in our new home and I love it. I come home from work, put on comfortable clothes, play a couple of rounds of Overwatch, cook dinner, and then we will watch some TV or a movie!
20. Are you high maintenance? Explain. Definitely not. When I was planning my wedding my florist told me that I was the easiest bride she had ever worked with, and I hope that rings true throughout my life.
21. When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits? I’m starting a new 7-week program at work and I had to do a physical assessment last week. Let’s just say that pushups and situps are not as easy as they used to be.
22. Do you have a whole lot of acquaintances or just a few very close friends? Why? I have a mix of both. I love meeting new people and connecting with them. Relationships are very important to me.
23. Are you more inclined to “build your own empire” or unleash the potential of others? Both! I love to create things on my own but also really like to encourage others.
24. What’s a strangest occurrence you’ve experienced but have never (or rarely) shared with anyone? I saw a UFO once when I was driving. My mom saw it too. It was a flash of light in the sky and then it disappeared. It was too big to be an asteroid. (I do believe in aliens!)
25. What do you think about more than anything else? I don’t know that I focus on one thing more than anything else, except for work.
26. What’s something that amazes you? The animal kingdom. I’ve been watching Planet Earth II and it truly amazes me how these animals survive in crazy conditions all around the globe.
27. Do you prefer that people shoot straight with you or temper their words? Why? I tend to be somewhat sensitive but I’m trying to work on that. But I would definitely prefer that shoot straight while still being respectful.
28. Where’s your favorite place to take an out of town guest? There are tons of great breweries in and around Charlotte and even though I’m not a beer drinker, I know most people love it. There’s a brewery/restaurant in Rock Hill near by work called Legal Remedy and the food is outstanding! If we’re doing something a little more upscale, The Pump House in Rock Hill sits on the Catawba River and is great food with amazing views.
29. What’s on thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? I would love to have someone clean my house or landscape for me, but I have no excuse not to do either of those things myself. Maybe after I have kids that will change…
30. Do you have a catchphrase? No, but I do tend to adopt accents and catchphrases/slang from those that surround me.
31. What’s your reaction towards people who are outspoken about their beliefs? What conditions cause you to dislike or, conversely, enjoy talking to them? I think we should all be outspoken about our beliefs because our they are what make us who we are. However, beliefs that are rooted in hatred and fear have no place in civil discourse.
32. How and where do you prefer to study? At a table or desk. I haven’t studied in quite a while but starting this fall I’m beginning a graduate program so I’m sure that will change!
33. What position do you sleep in? This one.
34. What’s your all-time favorite town or city? Why? I love D.C. I’ve been there four times since 2005 and want to go again. I love all of the history in the city, especially that the museums are free, and the food is phenomenal. I also get to see Betsy when I visit, so it’s a great city for me!
35. What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone new? Sense of humor, kindness and playfulness/sarcasm.
36. How has your birth order/characteristics of siblings affected you? I’m the oldest and I definitely act like it. I’ve always been a strong leader. I’m shocked that I married another oldest sibling because usually that doesn’t work for couples, but we’ve done it successfully for almost nine years!
37. If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be? Sometimes I worry too much about what others think. Whether it be something silly about someone misinterpreting something to someone judging the way that I look, I wish I could just let that go.
38. If you could restore one broken relationship, which would it be? I don’t think I have broken relationships that I want to repair. They are broken for a reason.
39. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to? I love my name because it’s not too common but everyone knows how to pronounce it and it’s mostly easy to spell. I do like Irish names like Saoirse (ser-sha) and Eilis (ay-lish).
40. Do you believe ignorance is bliss? Why or why not? Not at all. Sure it may be bliss for a short time, but in the long run it’s best to know things, no matter what they are.
41. What do you consider unforgivable? It’s hard to say but I’ve consider affairs/adultery unforgivable.
42. Have you forgiven yourself for past personal failures? Why or why not? Of course. You can’t dwell on things, they will drive you mad.
43. How difficult if it for you to forgive someone who refuses to apologize? If they aren’t apologizing, it’s impossible to forgive them.
44. Do you hold any convictions that you would be willing to die for? I believe that everyone is created equal and deserves respect. If that means I have to die for it, so be it.
45. To what extent do you trust people? Explain. I definitely think I trust people easily unless they give me a reason to not trust them.
46. In what area of your life are you immature? My sense of humor is a little immature sometimes. I laugh at things that teenage boys would probably laugh at.
47. What was the best news you ever received? That we would be moving home to South Carolina.
48. How difficult is it for you to be honest, even when your words may be hurtful or unpopular? Honesty is important but I think that there is always a way to deliver it softly.
49. When did you immediately click with someone you just met? Why? What was the long term result? Conversely, are you close with anyone now that you really disliked at first? I’m usually a really good judge of character so I tend to click with people easily and stick with it. I’ve had the opportunity to meet so many people through blogging and then meeting them IRL afterwards felt like we had been friends for years. *cough*JOEY*cough*
50. When do you find yourself singing? Literally at any point throughout the say. In the car, at my desk, in the shower, while I’m cleaning. I sing all the time.
Is there anything you see that you do too? What about things you think are insane? Let me know!